A mecca of Californian modernism in Pacific Palisades.
The Eames House is a former home and artist studio comprised of two rectangular glass-and-steel boxes, situated atop a bluff in Pacific Palisades. Now a global icon of modern design, the property was originally built by designers (and married couple) Charles and Ray Eames in 1949 as part of the Case Study Houses program—a mid-century experiment in constructing efficient, low-cost model homes for postwar families. The wood-furnished structure features an open-plan kitchen area, a double-height living room and a mezzanine bedroom still fitted with the Eames’ eclectic collections of books, folk art, flowers and driftwood. The sloping meadow upfront overlooks the Pacific Ocean. Reservations are required for all visits, and normally only include the exterior of the property.
203 Chautauqua Blvd